new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
166. Land's End | by InAweofGod'sCreation
Back to photostream

166. Land's End

+North Shore of Appledore. Taken during visit with Ann Landers to see Celia Thaxter Gardens. Trip originated in New Hampshire.


Appledore Island, Maine, (formerly known as Hog Island) is the largest of the Isles of Shoals located about seven miles off the Maine/New Hampshire coast.


It was originally settled by Europeans in the colonial era, when the ease of transport by water made farming on island economically efficient. A church was established in 1640. Near 1700, the entire settlement on this island moved to Star Island in New Hampshire to escape taxes imposed by Massachusetts (of which Maine was then a province).


The heyday of the island was the artists salon that thrived there in the late 1800s, before the advent of artists' colonies as we know them today. Celia Thaxter reigned over an impressive group of friends who were also the leading artists, musicians, and writers of the day. These included Edward MacDowell and his wife; American pianist William Mason, son of Lowell Mason, who played the grand piano in her salon daily; and John Knowles Paine, America's first serious composer of note. Childe Hassam painted Celia's magnificent garden in a style similar to Monet's Giverney paintings. This rarefied atmosphere ended with Thaxter's death in 1894 and the hotel burned in the early 1900s, bringing down the final curtain on this heyday in American arts. A charming small original daybook from this time period was re-published in part, in 1992, titled The Isles of Shoals Remembered, by Caleb Mason.


Today, the island is home to Shoals Marine Laboratory, run cooperatively by Cornell University and the University of New Hampshire since the early 1970s. Appledore Island is owned predominantly by the Star Island Corporation.


The most prominent feature on the island is a World War II concrete observation tower built to hold a radar installation. The dome intended to hold the radar no longer exists, and the radar unit was never installed

3 faves
Taken on July 12, 2006