Bistra was founded in the 13th century as the Carthusian monastery. In 1826 the property was bought by a merchant and factory owner Franc Galle who had turned building into a chateau by removing the last remains of the monastery. The estate comprising more than 1200 ha of land, four wood saws, a mill and hunting hut. In 1945 Bistra was declared as the national possession and Technical museum was founded in 1951. Idyllic place with a rich museum collection is a popular and well visited destination.Housed in the 6,000 square metre building of Chateau Bistra, formerly a monastery, with a beautiful garden, fish pond and a learning trail through the nearby borest, the Museum features numerous colllections from the fields of agriculture, textile engineering, transport, forestry, wood processing, electrical engineering, hunting, fishing and printing. Sundays are reserved for presentations of archaic working techniques, as well as practical demonstrations of tools, gadgets and machinery used in the past in performing everyday tasks (the working of the circular saw, textile and agricultural machinery, water powered mills, etc.).