whole lemon muffins
The original recipe:
1 medium lemon (preferably unwaxed, organic)
1 cup walnuts (or pecans)
1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups plain whole milk yogurt
1 cup powdered sugar
2 freshly squeezed lemons, juice of
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease 12 texas size muffin cups with butter or cooking spray or line with paper muffin wrappers.
2. Wash and dry the lemon. Cut into quarters and remove the seeds. Process the quartered lemon (all of it!) in a food processor fitted with a metal blade for 1 minute or more, until it is completely ground up. Scrape the lemon into a bowl. Without washing the food processor add the walnuts and pulse 10 to 12 times. Add the walnuts to the processed lemon. Stir to combine and set aside for later use.
3. Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter in a large bowl on medium high speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the sugar and beat on medium high until light and fluffy. Add the eggs all at once and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the vanilla and beat for about 30 seconds. Mix together the dry ingredients. Beat one third of it into the creamed mixture just until incorporated. Add half the yogurt and do the same. Repeat, ending with dry ingredients. Gently stir in the lemon mixture.
4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until they are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
5. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over the warm muffins. Glaze will harden in about 15 minutes.
These are at their very best served warm, but if wrapped tightly in plastic wrap once cooled, they will still taste great for up to 3 days. They can be frozen for up to 3 weeks.
My notes: I made them regular size (not Texas size) and did not make the glaze. I replaced one cup of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. I also replaced 1/2 teaspoon of the pure vanilla extract with pure lemon extract. I really like the idea that you use the whole lemon. I was given an organic one off a friend's tree the other day so I thought it was a great time to try this recipe. We ate these for at least three mornings in a row and they kept very well - moist and tasty.
*Please do not post my images/videos to blogs, Tumblr, Pinterest, or other social media without my permission. Thanks!*