25kV AC EMU set 311 095 at Motherwell. 1988.
With the electrification of the Gourock and Wemyss Bay lines authorised in 1964 a second batch of EMU's were required for these workings to supplement the existing class 303 EMU's built in 1959-60 for the North Clyde electrification. The same basic design was chosen but the order went to Cravens Ltd of Sheffield rather than the local Pressed Steel Co. In Paisley. The 19 new units were thus designated class AM11 (later class 311) and entered service in 1967. There whole working lives were spent on the Glasgow "Trans Clyde" suburban network and unlike their older cousins the class 303's none were put through the early 1980's life extension programme which saw 50 class 303's totally rebuilt with new interiors. Instead as new class 320's arrived the 311's were gradually withdrawn with none in traffic beyond October 1990 although two sets passed into departmental use as sandite units. Their use was cut short by the arrival in the late 1990's of MPV's (Multi Purpose Vehicles) and both sets were laid up. Set 936 103 (previously 311 103) one of the two department sets escaped the cutters torch though and is preserved (in the loosest sense of the term) at Summerlee Heritage Centre, Coatbridge.
Set 311 095 is seen here at Motherwell waiting to depart with the 16.52 stopper to Dalmuir.