Fernandez Mansion, Pinole CA
"The Fernandez Mansion built for Bernardo and Carlotta Fernandez circa 1894. Bernardo Fernandez, a Portuguese immigrant, was the founder of the wharf and shipping business in Pinole beginning in the 1850s. He acquired his first land at the waterfront from the Rafaela Martinez Tennent estate and by 1882, he owned 4 large warehouses,and5acresofwaterfrontproperty. By1894 he owned more than 3000 acres, eventually expanding his real estate holdings to over more than 20,000 acres throughout Pinole, Oakland & San Francisco. This 22- room mansion was the third home of the Fernandez family and is an excellent example of Second Empire French, a rare style in the area. The wood frame building has a central projecting pavilion and arched dormer windows. Stick trim panels grace the main structure, with tall 2 over 2 first floor windows that have brackets supporting window hoodsandeaves. Totheleftsideisafullheightslantedbay with a pedimented gable roof. The home is listed on the Contra Costa Inventory of Historic Places & the National Register of Historic Places."