Yim Tin Tsai
Yim Tin Tsai is a small island in Sai Kung district. About 300 years ago, the Hakka Chan clan moved from Guan Lan (觀瀾) in Shenzhen to Yim Tin Tsai and started to cultivate six acres of salt pans, thus creating a Hakka village. At its peak, Yim Tin Tsai had 1200 inhabitants. Villagers lived on farming, fishing and salt-making. They farmed 6 acres (24,000 square metres) of salt field. In 1866, Fr. G. Origo and Fr. S. Volonteri started working in Yim Tin Tsai and in 1875, all villagers were converted to Catholicism. In 1879 a chapel was set up by Joseph Freinademetz (who was canonised in 2003). The current St. Joseph Chapel was built in 1890 to replace the old church. It is the landmark of the island, before the Mass began, the church bell rang in loud voice so that the villagers and the fishermen nearby could come to attend the Maas. After renovation by the Hong Kong Catholic Diocese, this historical church was granted an award for protecting cultural heritage in Asia-Pacific Region by UNESCO.
Because of the adverse rural life in recent decades, all villagers have migrated to urban areas and overseas countries.