RAAF 228 Radar Station
The Cockburn Sound area played an important role in Australia’s coastal defence system, comprising an almost land-locked Sound protected by the placement of coastal gun batteries on Garden Island, Rottnest Island and the mainland.
The RAAF 228 Radar Station was formed at Subiaco on 24 May 1943 and transferred to East Rockingham on 20 August 1943. It went to reduced operations (one watch) on 2 May 1944 and operations ceased on 2 February 1945. The unit then went into care and maintenance. It officially closed on 17 September 1945 and was disbanded on 10 May 1945. Staff at the station comprised both RAAF and WAAAF but was predominantly female as the employment of WAAAFs (Women’s Auxiliary Australian Air Force) released male personnel for overseas service.
During the operating period the station was under the command of Plt Officers A.W. Read; P.L. Beetson; A.W. Read; A.T. Carmody; and H.A. Strickland.
The Light Weight Air Warning Radar operated at 42.05 MHz and was located at 32° 15’ 2”S 115° 47’ 30”E at an elevation of 100 feet.