new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Mission Mary Calera | by Dave Arnold Photo
Back to group

Mission Mary Calera

Recommend View large on black.

 

Toyahvale, Texas. The first records of the Mission Mary were from 1902. Father Nicholas Brocardus served the Mission and 40 other Trans-Pecos Missions. Situated in Reeves County, the adobe walls were plastered in the 1940s but as people moved away from the area, it was abandoned and a church in Brogado became the main parish.

 

Since 2003, a group called the Calera Foundation has been working to reconstruct both the Mission Mary and its history. This is one beautiful little white church complete with traditional Spanish architecture in the middle of the West Texas desert.

 

La Calera Foundation

PO Box 12

Toyahvale, TX 79786

1,376 views
12 faves
116 comments
Taken on May 16, 2010