PC 263 Market Drayton top right
St. Mary’s Church
Composite card of Market Drayton
A small wooden church was probably built here in the 10th century. This was replaced in Norman times by a stone church of which the West Door built in 1150 is all that remains. Much of the present building dates from the 14th century. There was some rebuilding in the 18th century with a new nave and galleries erected on old columns. These proved inadequate. At morning service on April 26th, 1879 a loud crack was heard from one of the beams. The church was closed for several years for substantial restoration work which was completed in 1884. Robert Clive of India, who attended the old Grammar School next to the church, is supposed to have climbed one of the gargoyles.
Photo taken 11th May, 2005
Postcard printed January, 2006 – A