Shoofly

Here is my submittal for the first Project Quilting - Shoofly Challenge. I started with a piece of fabric I dyed and a fun floral printed fabric. I decided that I would 'make' my own striped fabric. I did this by taking a portion of the hand-dyed fabric and machine stitching different fibers - some that I had dyed, some commercial - across the fabric. I absolutely love the effect it had. It did make ironing during the piecing portion of the quilt a bit tricky. Due to miss calculation of fabric amounts I did not have enough of the hand-dye to put as the center blocks of my shoofly. So, I took a really neat directional branch fabric and pieced them together to create either 'circles' or 'x's' in each square. Eight of them went together just fine but after two tries with the center one (late at night) I scratched it and just used a lighter value square of the hand-dyed fabric. I think created an almost 'bordered' feel in the quilt with out actually adding a border. I decided to keep the quilting simple and did some rectangles and diamonds. There was enough going on with the color, texture and pattern in the quilt.

Size: 31.75" x 31.75"

Cost: $0 - I used everything from my stash!

  • Sharon 5y

    I really like the chaotic look and the use of value. This is great!
  • Kim Lapacek 5y

    Thanks so much :)
  • Marjon Savelsberg 5y

    This is absolutely beautiful!
  • laughingrat 5y

    Gosh, that's great. The nice steady geometric pattern really grounds the wild colors!
283 views
3 faves
4 comments
Taken on April 17, 2010
  • Olympus FE4030,X950
  • ƒ/8.4
  • 5.5 mm
  • 1/160
  • 64
  • Flash (off, did not fire)
  • Show EXIF
This photo is in 6 groups
This photo is in 1 album
undefined

Additional info

  • Viewing this photo Public
  • Safety level of this photo Safe
  • S Search
    Photo navigation
    < > Thumbnail navigation
    Z Zoom
    B Back to context