Kinkakuji, “the temple of the Golden Pavilion” is the Japanese popular name of the Rokuon-ji (Deer Garden Temple), the famous temple complex in Kyoto. The Golden Pavilion (actually a shariden, a Buddhist hall containing relics of Buddha), was in the 1220s the villa of Kintsune Saionji, before the shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu acquired it in 1397, turning it into his own villa, the Kitayama-den. It was turned into a Zen temple after his death, in accordance to his will. The present structure was rebuilt in 1955, after the latest fire in 1950, set by a fanatic monk! Rokuon-ji Temple was registered as World Cultural Heritage in 1994.