Orange County Jail, Santa Ana, circa 1925
The Sycamore Street Jail opened in 1924 and remained in continuous operation until 1968. It served as both jail and headquarters for the department during that time. It was 3 1/2 stories tall and had a rooftop penthouse where the head jailer Theo Lacy Jr. lived with his wife (and jailhouse matron) Nona. The jail was located on Sycamore St., across from the Old Orange County Courthouse. Presbyterian Church is visible in the background.
There are no known copyright restrictions on this image. All future uses of this photo should include the courtesy line, "Photo courtesy Orange County Archives."