Print room at Oliver & Boyd
General view of factory interior showing printing presses at Oliver & Boyd. c1960.
Oliver & Boyd was founded in 1807 / 8 by Thomas Oliver and George Boyd. The firm was based at Tweeddale Court off the High Street in Edinburgh. Oliver & Boyd specialised in medical publishing and educational textbook publishing. The firm was taken over in 1896 by George and James Thin and John Grant, well established Edinburgh booksellers. In 1962 Oliver & Boyd was acquired by the Financial Times organisation. Later its publishing function was bought by Longman’s, and in 1990 it closed its operations in Edinburgh
Edinburgh City of Print is a joint project between City of Edinburgh Museums and the Scottish Archive of Print and Publishing History Records (SAPPHIRE). The project aims to catalogue and make accessible the wealth of printing collections held by City of Edinburgh Museums. For more information about the project please visit www.edinburghcityofprint.org