Black and white advert for Melrose's Edinburgh Tea
Description: Advert for Melrose tea 1/2 lb showing a map of the world with Darjeeling highlighted. On right hand side of advert there is the logo of W. P Melrose showing Princes Street in Edinburgh. Label reads ' W.P Melrose's Edinburgh Tea. Delightful, refreshing, fragrant. Packed by W.P.Melrose & Co. Edinburgh.
Used in Edinburgh
Accession number: SH.2008.170.11
Further Notes: Smith and Ritchie were established in Edinburgh in 1853. The firm were multi colour offset printers who were specialist suppliers to the food packaging industry. They were located at Amphion Works in Albert Street. In 1963 Smith & Ritchie became the first printing company in Scotland to use a gravure press and produced reel fed work up to five colours. Smith & Ritchie moved to Livingston in 1986 and in 1991 became the first printing firm in Scotland to use a 10 station gravure press.
Smith & Ritchie have subsequently moved out to Livingston and survive today as Amcor Flexibles S & R. Amcor are originally an Australian company and now have operations in 36 countries around the world specialising in many printed products of which the food packaging that Amcor Flexibles S & R is one.
History: Smith & Ritchie were located at 71 Albert Street, Edinburgh.
Edinburgh City of Print is a joint project between City of Edinburgh Museums and the Scottish Archive of Print and Publishing History Records (SAPPHIRE). The project aims to catalogue and make accessible the wealth of printing collections held by City of Edinburgh Museums. For more information about the project please visit www.edinburghcityofprint.org