Poolbeg Chimneys, Dublin, Ireland.
Poolbeg is situated adjacent to the now-decommissioned Pigeon House generating station, where electricity was first generated in 1903. The Pigeon House was previously a military barracks. It was used for power generation until it was decommissioned in 1976, and the Poolbeg plant is still known locally as the Pigeon House.
The modern Poolbeg station was constructed in two separate phases, beginning in the 1960s. The ESB decided to construct the station in 1965 and the initial development was completed in 1971 with the construction of Units 1 and 2 at a cost of 20 million Irish pounds. The original Pigeon House generators remained on standby duty until 1976. Unit 3 was completed in 1978 at a cost of 40 million pounds.
These two thermal station chimneys at 207 meters high are among the tallest structures in Ireland The chimney are visible from most of Dublin city and have over the years become a much loved landmark. A proposal to safeguard the chimneys as a future landmark after the stations closure has so far been refused from Dublin City Council.