Parkmore Station, Co Antrim. Northern Ireland.
Once highest station in Ireland, Parkmore now lies abandoned in a remote spot in the Antrim Glens for more then seventy years. Considerable iron ore deposits on the Antrim coast prompted the Ballymena Cushendall and Red Bay narrow gauge railway to build a mineral line into the Antrim glens, opening for business in 1876. The 16 mile line ran through wild exposed moorland being an almost a 15 mile continuous ascent to Parkmore station, the line’s remote passenger terminus. The line’s next objective of Cushendall (6 miles distant) was never reached. The line survived in various guises until the Northern Counties Commitee withdrew passenger services to Parkmore on the 1st October 1930, the line closing completely in 1940, so bringing an end to the earliest built narrow gauge line in the country.