Bochum - Eisenbahnmuseum Dahlhausen Preußische T 12 74 1192 02
The Prussian Class T 12 is an early, German, passenger train, tank locomotive built for the Prussian state railways in large numbers. These locomotives were superheated variants of the T 11.
Although the T 12 first appeared as early as 1902 in an experimental guise, series production did not start until 1905. Besides the Prussian state railways, the engine was also procured by the Imperial Railways in Alsace-Lorraine (25 units), the Lübeck-Büchen Railway and the Halberstadt-Blankenburg Railway.
The main sphere of operations for the T 12 was the Berlin area, where it worked the city network, ring railway and suburban lines as a predecessor of electric S-Bahn traction. The engines had to be capable of rapid acceleration when in charge of compartment coach trains in order to achieve acceptable journey times, due to the short distances between stations on some routes. The T 12 was therefore a very powerful locomotive with strong acceleration in both running directions. In 1921 a follow-on order of 40 locomotives was built by Borsig, because the fleet was not large enough. After the electrification of much of the S-Bahn network between 1924 and 1929 the locomotives were switched to normal passenger and goods train services and shunting.