Saugerties N.Y. - Hudson Lighthouse 05
Saugerties becomes a lighthouse in 1834. The lighthouse was placed at the mouth of the Esopus Creek to guide ships away from shallow areas when daily commercial and passenger transportation come into the port.
Construction began in 1835 by Charles Hooster, a residence of Saugerties. He won the job with the low bid of $2,988. The pier the lighthouse was built upon was made of chestnut cribbing and filled with stone. The original source of light came from 5 whale oil lamps with parabolic reflectors, but in 1850 the whale oil lamps were replaced with mineral oil lamps.
Yet after strides with this lighthouse, Congress passed a budget in 1867 for $25,000 to construct a newly developed lighthouse. It was built on a circular stone whose base is 18 m in diameter. The carpenters used the old mineral oil lamps from the original lighthouse in the new lighthouse building. Two years later in 1869 the newly built lighthouse became functional. This lighthouse is still the present-day light of the town of Saugerties.