Krefeld - Burg Linn 17
The castle dates back to a residential tower and the lords of Gerlachus Otto and his brother Lynn,
who in the 12th century was built with an area of approximately 8.5 x 14.5 m at this
point in tuff and gravel. Already around the year 1000, there were at this point a moth,
an artificial hill surrounded by a moat with a tower protected by palisades of wood.
The first construction consisted of a longer non-preserved ramparts of tufa on the
north side of the castle hill. Otto von Linn sold the "Allodium de Linne"
in 1188 for 100 marks, at the Cologne Archbishop Philip von Heinsberg,
Castle retained but identified as fiefs, before he himself took part as a young man
in the Third Crusade.
Inspired by the Byzantine fortress architecture Otto built the castle on his return
with the proceeds from Cologne on.The old shield wall was initially closed in four
phases with a modern brick wall of bricks to a ring.
After its completion, the weak shield wall removed and added to the wall
in two further stages to its current six-sided shape.
The first three sections are exactly half of the planned six-sided walls,
and were fairly steady pace built between 1195 and 1200.
Later, a result exactly mirror symmetric hexagon. For unknown reasons, the second half
of the wall is not built so precisely. As early as the fourth phase of construction
was carried out in 1202 to less than expected, which influenced the shape and size
of the remaining wall in the last two stages. Then the work came to a halt.
The last two sections were completed only in 1230 and 1250.