Bochum - Bergbaumuseum Förderturm HDR
The Deutsches Bergbau-Museum Bochum (DBM) is with his about 400,000 visitors per year one of the mostly visited museums of Germany.
It is one of the most important mining museums of the world and at the same time a famous research institute for Montanhistory.
The beginnings of the mining museum go back for the 1860s when the Westfälische Berggewerkschaftskasse (WBK) furnishes a constant exhibition of mountain-architectural utensils in Bochum which served primarily the mountain school lessons. In the end of the 1920s considerations were developed by representatives of the WBK and the city of Bochum for the foundation of a publicly accessible mining museum.
The foundation contract for the historical museum of the mining was closed on the 1st of April, 1930 between the city of Bochum and the WBK, as the first hall of the museum serves the old cattle hall of the closed Bochum slaughterhouse. On the area of the slaughterhouse a new building of the museum building with additional exhibition space was explained in 1935 according to draughts by Fritz Schupp and Heinrich Holzapfel.
In 1936 one began with the construction of the visitor mine.
In 1943 the not yet perfect museum new buildings were destroyed by allied air raids extensively, the visitor mine was altered for the air defence. Already in 1946 the museum was reopened with a small exhibition. In the 1950s the museum was anew built up and extended, in 1960 the distances of the view mine on a total length of 2,510 metres are developed.
The shaft tower was moved in the years 1973 and 1974 by the closed mine "Germania" in Dortmund-Marten to Bochum. The conversion was financed from means of the North Rhine-Westphalian Ministry of Education and the Arts.
The old shaft tower from the colliery "Germania" in Dortmund