Union Station - Utica, NY
Another look at Union Staion. The bottom section of the exterior wall is gray stone with large round arched windows. The upper section is gray brick with two levels of windows and the roofline is decorated with four large eagles and a clock surrounded by eagles. It was built in 1913-1914 by New York architects Stem and Fellheimer in a classically inspired Beaux-Arts style at a cost of $1 million for the NY Central RR, replacing an older structure dating from 1869. Some parts of this station were once sections of the original Grand Central Station in NYC. The railroad shipped sections of the old Grand Central to Utica for Union Station as a new Grand Central was being constructed in NYC. Union Station was the last magnificent passenger terminal ever built by the NY Central RR System. When the Utica Station was added to the NRHP in 1975 it belonged to the Penn Central RR and was badly deteriorated but not beyond saving. A movement was spearheaded to restore the station but was strenuously opposed. However the turning point came when they realized over 100 jobs would be lost in Utica if Amtrak had to move the switching control from the premises to another city. Finally Oneida County stepped in and purchased the station in 1978. A phased restoration was begun with federal, state and local funds. Throughout the decades redevelopment efforts have focused on maintaining and enhancing the stations multimodal functions. The station serves Amtrak and the Adirondack Scenic Railroad as well as Cento buses and it also houses some of the Oneida County offices. It is known as the Boehlert Transportation Center. It is located at 321 Main Street in Utica, NY.