2011-05-01 Selles-sur-Cher, Abbey Notre-Dame-la-Blanche, Loir-et-Cher, Centre 56
Église Notre Dame La Blanche. Acrobat
The abbey was founded in the vi th century by St. Eusice. It was rebuilt in the second quarter of the xii th century. At the end of the xii th century the nave was partially reconstructed. The 5 January 1563 troops destroy Protestant Coligny including the choir of the abbey which is tentatively reconstructed in wood in 1606. It was only in 1882 that the architect A. Baudot began to rebuild the building in its original state.
The building has a nave flanked by side aisles, a transept and a choir surrounded by an ambulatory with three chapels. The square of the transept has four huge piles supporting arches that surround a dome pendants. It supports a powerful massive tower.
The nave, the ribbed vaults of the aisles and the elegant portal side are good quality however the upper floor consists of only a single wall with oculi, the ceiling is covered with paneling .
The bedside (outside apses) of the axial chapel is decorated with two friezes carved characters. The first, under the windows, is a fairly crude and bill represents various episodes from the life of Christ. The second, above the windows, is better proportioned and depicts the life of St. Eusice.
The crypt located underneath the choir contains the tomb of St. Eusice the vi th century.