Hughenden Manor NT 020509
Hughenden Manor was the home of the Conservative Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli and his wife Mary Ann. Although Disraeli had no great financial resources he considered that the ownership of landed property was essential to support the status of a leading public figure. He acquired the Hughenden estate in 1847 with the help of Lord George Bentinck and his brothers who lent him two-thirds of the purchase price. Disraeli and his wife lived at Hughenden for the rest of their lives (Mary Ann died in 1872 and Disraeli in 1881). They entertained many of the great political and society figures of the day, including Queen Victoria. Disraeli's period as Prime Minister from 1874 to 1880 saw great successes including progressive social reform and an imperialist foreign policy which gained Queen Victoria the title Empress of India.
Hugheden Manor is a three-storey red-brick Gothicised Georgian house. It stands high above the surrounding trees with sweeping views across the lawns to the hills beyond High Wycombe. The Disraelis added the ornamental parapet. The interior is a comfortable Victorian house and every room has a reminder of the Disraelis and their friends. The library contains Disraeli's novels and an autographed copy of Queen Victoria's only published work.