St. George St., Pena-Peck House Museum
Dr. Peck took over the practice of Dr. Andrew Anderson and prospered in other business ventures as well.
By 1837, the raging Seminole Wars had made property within the city of St. Augustine very valuable as plantation owners deserted the country areas. Although it was in very poor condition, Dr. Peck purchased the former Pena residence.
He completely renovated the structure, added a second story of wood, and demolished what was left of the east wing.
Dr. Peck's medical office was on the first floor in what is now the gift shop. The large northwest room was rented for a general store. The family occupied the second floor and their dining room was located on the first floor.
Dr. Peck died during the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1841 and is buried in the Protestant Cemetery north of the City Gate, known as the Huguenot Cemetery.
For 94 years the Peck family continued to live in the house with son, John, soon taking over his father's medical practice. The only Peck child to marry was Lucy, who married George Burt. They had four children.
One died in childhood and the others remained unwed. The oldest, Anna Gardner Burt, was the last survivor of the family. Upon her death in 1931, she willed the property to the City of St. Augustine to be exhibited to the public as a house museum.
The City was about to decline the gift when the Woman's Exchange, a volunteer organization founded in 1892, obligated themselves to maintain and operate the house. It opened to the public in 1932.