Ramsay House: Text on the Wooden Plaque
THE RAMSAY HOUSE Built Circa 1724. Oldest house in ALEXANDRIA owned by WILLIAM RAMSAY, a Founder, Trustee, and the first Mayor of Alexandria in 1749. Later occupied by his son DENNIS RAMSAY and his descendants. Interest in preserving the house was initiated by EDWARD C. VAN DEVANTER. It was purchased by the CITY in 1944 to prevent its demolition. The ALEXANDRIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY, INC. was then authorized by the CITY COUNCIL to undertake the restoration. The work was commenced through gifts by the ALEXANDRIA ASSOCIATION and public spirited citizens. In 1955 the CITY COUNCIL appropriated funds to complete the restoration.
The CITY COUNCIL: LEROY S BENDHEIM, Mayor; JOSEPH M. PANCOAST, vice major; JAMES M. DUNCAN, Jr., councilman; JOHN J. EWALD councilman; FRANK E. MANN, councilman; JOHN T. TIGER, councilman; F. CLINTON KNIGHT, councilman. City Manager, IRA F. WILLARD. Architect for Restoration, MILTON L. GRIGG. Builder, EUGENE and CLARENCE SIMPSON. Garden and Landscaping, HUNTING CREEK GARDEN CLUB.