A side view as we made our way to the front of the castle.
Castle Fraser, built between 1575 and 1636, lies about 16mi/25km northwest of Aberdeen on the A944. The huge stronghold was owned by the Fraser family until 1921 and has been run by the National Trust for Scotland since 1976. Like Crathes and Craigievar Castle, round towers, graceful conical roofs, oriel windows and decorative dormers create an impressive picture. The medieval belfry was extended in the late 16th C with a five-story wing, a square tower and a seven-story round tower to create a Z-shaped structure. Two further low-level annexs were added in the 17th C with stonemasons Bel and Leiper leaving behind their distinctive stamp. Excerpt from Castle Fraser, Aberdeenshire, Grampian Region & Mountains, tourist attractions, information, pictures, maps.