Kos Island (Greece)
Defterdar Mosque, constructed with the material of the old town church, is placed at the eastside of the Platia Eleftherias (Freedom Square) in Kos. It was built in the year 1725 and belongs to the Islamic community of Kos. It is still used by the 50 Muslim families, who live mostly in a nearby Platani town, but it is not open to the public.
The island of Kos was part of the Monastic State of the Knights Hospitaller. In 1480 the Ottomans were unable to conquer it, but in June 1522 Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent laid siege to Rhodes and sent his troops to Kos and Bodrum to blockade those fortresses.
In December 1522 the Knights defending Rhodes capitulated and agreed to withdraw also from all of their other fortresses in Dodecanese: they left Kos in January 1523.
Since then, the island was under the Ottoman rule for almost 400 years (in 1911 the island was "recaptured" by Italian troops during the Italo-Turkish War).