Lindesnes Fyr (The lighthouse of Lindesnes), Norway's southernmost tip
Buy this photo on Getty Images : Getty Images
Lindesnes Lighthouse (Norwegian: Lindesnes fyrstasjon) is a coastal lighthouse on the southernmost tip of mainland Norway, the peninsula Neset. It is also the oldest lighthouse station in Norway, first lit in 1655.
It has gone through several changes since it was built: In 1822, it was refitted with a coal lamp, and in 1854 a new lamp was installed with the current lens. The current cast iron tower was set up in 1915 and fitted with the old Fresnel lens. In 1920 the lighthouse station got its first fogsignal, a sirene. The fogsignal and its machinery is placed in a building beside the tower. During WW2 Lindesnes lighthouse was taken over by the Germans. Being an important watchpoint the German built a little fortress with four guns and, after a while, a radarantenna. The traces from WW2 are visible as trenches, tunnels etc. In the 1950s the lighthousestation was electrified.
- Amazon Corporate, LLC (WASHINGTON)
- TUI Cruises GmbH (Germany) (january 2015)
- BrownTrout Publishers Inc (CALIFORNIA) 01-Mar-2016