Perch Rock Lighthouse
Perch Rock Lighthouse, also known as New Brighton Lighthouse or Black Rock Lighthouse, is located near Liverpool in the northwest corner of the Wirral Peninsula in New Brighton, at the mouth of the River Mersey. Perch Rock gets its name from the wooden “perch” that once held the navigational light before the lighthouse. The stone lighthouse, based on John Smeaton’s Eddystone tower, took three years to build and was completed in 1830. The lower part of the 90-foot lighthouse is solid granite, with three stories of living quarters above. The light was automated in 1925 and eventually decommissioned in 1973.
After its decommissioning, the Perch Rock Lighthouse was bought by Norman Kingham with an agreement that he maintain the building. The tower was actually used for a time as a honeymoon suite. It’s possible to walk to the tower at low tide, but access requires climbing a 25-foot ladder to the doorway.
The lighthouse presently emits flashing bursts of light which in Morse Code spell out the names of 176 men, women and children who were lost on board the American emigrant ship Ocean Monarch. The vessel sailed from Liverpool for the United States in 1848. The signal from the lighthouse can only be seen from the inland side, and is visible over a half mile radius during the day and a three mile radius at night.