Basilica S.Carlo e S.Ambrogio
Sant'Ambrogio e Carlo al Corso (usually known simply as San Carlo al Corso) is a basilica church in Rome, facing the central Via del Corso. It is dedicated to Saint Ambrose of Milan and Saint Charles Borromeo, also native of that city. It is one of at least three churches in Rome dedicated to this saint, including San Carlo ai Catinari and San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane.
The construction was begun in the occasion of the canonization of St. Charles Borromeo (1610), under the direction of Onorio Longhi and, after his death, of his son Martino. The site was that of the former church of San Nicola de Tofo. The dome, resembling that of Santi Luca e Martina, was designed by Pietro da Cortona (1668), who was also responsible of the apse and of the rich internal decoration. The façade was designed by Cardinal Luigi Alessandro Omodei, who did not like the project prepared by Carlo Rainaldi.