Mission San José, San Antonio, Texas. A map of the mission.
A San José Misszió Texasban, San Antonio városa mellett. A missziót 1720-ban alapították a helyi indiánok térítésére, és 1824-ig működött. Később menekültek és banditák éltek itt, csak az 1930-as években állították helyre, és ma a missziókat bemutató Nemzeti Park legszebb darabja. 2008. júniusában jártuk sorra a missziókat, itt kezdve a látogatást.
Mission San José - known as the 'Queen of the Missions', this is the largest of the missions and was almost fully restored to its original design in the 1930s by the WPA (Works Projects Administration). Spanish missions were not churches, but communities, with the church in the focus. Mission San José shows the visitor how all the missions might have looked over 250 years ago.
The mission was founded in 1720, and served the Coahuiltecan Indians. The first buildings, made of brush, straw, and mud, were quickly replaced by large stone structures, including guest rooms, offices, a dining room, and a pantry. A heavy outer wall was built around the main part of the mission, and rooms for 350 Indians were built into the walls. The church was constructed in 1768 from local limestone. The mission lands were given to its Indians in 1794, and mission activities officially ended in 1824. After that, the buildings were home to soldiers, the homeless, and bandits. It was restored in the 1930s and is now part of the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park. We visited the missions in June 2008, during our Southwestern roadtrip.