Brett By: Brett

JOS rear light with B&M Seculite Plus internals

This is an old JOS light (via ebay) that I modified with internals from a B&M Seculite Plus. This involved a lot of solder gun work to remove and rearrange the electronics to fit in the smaller space, but it works wonderfully and is wired to the edelux up front via a wire that runs through the side of the fender, under the BB, and up through the inside of the downtube to reach the edelux. This was a huge amount of work but I think it looks much nicer than the Seculite Plus fender light.

  • ablejack 6y

    Sweet! Nice work on that light housing. It seems no one makes a sexy light anymore?!
  • Vélocia 6y

    Well done : )
  • Brett 6y

    Merci!
  • vorsprung2009 5y

    But the seculite plus looks great!
  • somervillebikes 4y

    nicely done! i should do something like this with my next build.

    where does the wire enter and exit the downtube? did you drill extra holes? or did the VO frame come with pre-drilled holes for this?
  • Brett 4y

    Since this was an early semi-custom VO frame (not one of the new production frames), I had the option of having the holes drilled for me, one is just above the bb shell on the downtube and the other just below the downtube/headtube lug. It was quite a chore to route the wire through these small holes! I also asked for little braze-on loops on the fork to provide clean routing from the hub to headlight. Routing the wire through the fender was also quite a job, as I had to "unroll" the interior lip of the fender a bit and then put it back. It took a full day of work just to get this rear light converted and hooked up.
  • somervillebikes 4y

    i can understand fully the time it took you. i used to do custom auto sound and home theatre installations (way back in the 80s) and acquired a few skills for getting wires through tight spots.

    i'll be doing this on a frame that is currently at a frame builder's shop getting modified for 650B. while i was getting the canti bosses relocated, i asked the frame builder to add reinforced eyelets at the base of one of the fork blades (by enlarging an existing drain hole), at the top of the down tube, and near the front of one of the chainstays. my plan is to run the wire up along the underside of the rear fender, as well.

    i recently went the opposite way, and converted an old soubitez dynamo taillight into a battery LED unit. it took a lot of time and re-soldering circuits like you had to do, and sometimes i wonder why i didn't just build dynamo lighting into this bike, but in the end i was happy with the way it came out:

  • efbert 2y

    Beautiful - this is real commitment!
5,517 views
9 faves
8 comments
Taken on August 5, 2009
  • ƒ/4.0
  • 7.0 mm
  • 1/200
  • 100
  • Flash (auto, did not fire)
  • Show EXIF
This photo is in 2 groups
This photo is in 1 album
This photo is in 1 gallery

Additional info

  • Viewing this photo Public
  • Safety level of this photo Safe
  • S Search
    Photo navigation
    < > Thumbnail navigation
    Z Zoom
    B Back to context