St. Peter's Church, Martley - mosaic
The Parish Church of St Peter is of Norman origin with several later additions. Built mainly of local red sandstone, it has a square tower which houses the six 1673 bells –the oldest complete ring of six in the country. Medieval wall paintings and the tomb of Sir Hugh Mortimer are amongst many interesting features inside the building. The interior was restored in 1909 with the original clock of 1680 now housed in the Science Museum, London
Martley Millennium Seat was carved from Cedar of Lebanon, 6ft high x 3.5ft diameter. Commissioned to commemorate the establishment of a millennium nature reserve project. The seat is on the other side of the sculpture. The sculptor was Dave Johnson.
Basil Haines wound the present clock for 23 years and the Basil Haines Memorial Sun Dial has now replaced the original mass dial on the South East buttress. For the Millennium, a new stained glass window was installed in the church by the parishioners.