Former Wabash Turntable
The people of Forrest worked to attract a second railroad. At first there were hopes that the Chicago and Paducah Railroad could be induced to construct its tracks through the town, but this road was diverted to nearby Fairbury.  Success came when the Wabash Railroad, which was constructed through Forrest in 1880. On 1 May 1880 the first train on the Wabash passed through Forrest. Forrest became an important stopping place on the line of the Wabash linking Chicago and Kansas City. Soon repair shops were built and by the early 1890s over sixty men were employed here.  The town became freight shipment point for the Chicago Division of the railroad. In 1894 local workers supported a strike against the Wabash and many of those who had supported the strike lost their jobs to strikebreakers. The Freight division was removed to Decatur. Between 1914 and 1921 it was briefly returned to Forrest. By the 1920s the days of Forrest as a railroad center began to fade. In 1924 the state of Illinois began construction on a paved road that eventually became Route 24.