The Grotto Story - Liverpool's Famous Christmas Grotto at Rapid 2012 ( Formerly of Lewis's )
Lewis's continued to grow. A branch in Leicester was opened, along with a branch on the then new The Headrow in Leeds (One of the Longest shopfronts in Britain). John Anderson's Royal Polytechnic on Argyle Street in Glasgow was bought as well as McIllroys in Hanley.
In 1951, Lewis's bought Selfridges of London and opened branches in Bristol and Blackpool. The company was bought out by Sears who relaunched Lewis's in the 1980s. They launched a new hypermarket format in Weston Favell & Ellesmere Port in 1975 as well as opening a satilite store in Bolton. In 1991 a store in Lakeside Shopping Centre opened. Later that year, Lewis's went into administration and some stores were saved by competitor Owen Owen. Selfridges remained under the control of Sears before being bought out in 1998.