Church of St. Peter AD Vincula, Colemore, England, UK
The Church of St Peter ad Vincula, Colemore, is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Colemore, Hampshire, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. Colemore is located some 6 miles (10 km) south of Alton to the east of the A32 road.
Colemore is mentioned in the Domesday Book, and a church has been on the site since the 10th century. The present church dates from the 12th century. However by 1308 its fabric was "in a ruinous" condition" and the bishop ordered that repairs should be undertaken. By the end of the century the church was under the control of Waverley Abbey. By 1463 it was again in a ruinous condition, and again the bishop had to intervene; the church was put in good order again by July 1464. But its condition had deteriorated again by 1612; a new roof was built and a bellcote added. At this time the church had a cruciform plan, but in 1669 the parishioners considered that the interior was too dark, and they petitioned the bishop for the disused and ruinous south transept to be removed. The petition was granted, and during the following year the transept was demolished.
Again by 1845 the church was in a bad condition and Owen Carter, a Winchester architect, was commissioned to carry out repairs and improvements; the latter included inserting new windows, paving the nave and replacing the pews. By 1866 the bellcote was insecure and it was replaced by a new one with a spirelet, the architect being John Colson, also of Winchester. Further improvements and repairs were carried out in the 1870s. In the 20th century, the church had deteriorated yet again. The parish was united with that of East Tisted. The church was declared redundant on 17 November 1972 and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 6 September 1974. Further repairs have since been carried out. The church remains consecrated and occasional services are held in it.