Bishop Hill - Steeple Building
Bishop Hill was founded in 1846 by a religious group called the Janssonists. Their members had emigrated from Sweden under the leadership of their pastor, Eric Jansson. By 1861, the colony had grown to about 1,000 people. For the first years of the colony, all property was held in common. The Steeple Building, built in 1854, is in the foreground. The tower has a clock with four faces, with only hour hands. The blacksmith shop is at the end of the street. Bishop Hill is about 40 miles (65 km) northwest of Peoria. It is closer to Galesburg, and northeast of that city.