Table Rock Farm - Wheeling, WV
The house on Table Rock farm was built around 1840 by Samuel McColloch (1802-1879). Samuel was the son of Abraham (1760-1839) and Aley (Boggs) McColloch (1769-1838), early settlers of the Wheeling area. Abraham had three brothers – Sam (who famously escaped Indians in his 1777 leap off Wheeling Hill), John, and George, and two sisters, one of whom, Elizabeth, married Wheeling’s “official” founder, Ebenezer Zane. Thus, the Samuel McColloch who was the builder of this house was a nephew of the more famous Sam McColloch and a brother-in-law of Ebenezer Zane.
Samuel was a farmer and served for a while as a local Justice of the Peace. He married Rebecca Lauck, and the couple had 11 children. Eventually the house passed to one of their daughters, Catherine McColloch McCleary. This “Aunt Kate” sold the 120-acre farm, just a small portion of the original property owned by her grandfather Abraham, to Andrew C. M. Hess in 1931. Over the years, the Hess family acquired adjacent tracks of land until at one time the property totaled over 700 acres. Hess’s son, Chris Hess, was the most recent owner. After his recent death, the family offered the property for sale. It includes the house, guesthouse, log cabin, barn, stable, springhouse, and the namesake “Table Rock.”
Prepared by Jean Finstein - Friends of Wheeling Newsletter.