Behind the Wall
Im sure many people travelling up & down the Great Western Hwy in the Blue Mountains, have looked at that big sandstone wall along the train line at Faulconbridge, and wondered what lies behind it.
While exploring the remains of Eurama House, we drove futher along and discovered this house, utterly destroyed and gutted by vandals, which turns out, is what is on the other side of the wall.
Reachable only by 4WD down Sir Henry Parkes Parade, this site ajacent to the railway line, was the site of a cottage built by Sir James Martin in the 1870's, called 'Numantia' (later renamed Weemala).
In 1876 a railway platform was erected to service the well-to-do residents of the area. It became the Numantia Platform but ceased operation in 1892 with the platform being removed in 1897.
Numantia was destroyed by bushfire in 1982, but the sandstone wall and outbulidings still remain.
After the bushfire, the house seen here was build by the land's owner, Mr John Ward, who died shortly after trying to cross the Great Western Highway. The house has been empty ever since.
View the wall from the GW Hwy on Google Maps here: -33.710045,150.523244