Indiana, Parke County, Portland Mills Covered Bridge (11,074b)
The Portland Mills Covered Bridge was built in 1856 by Henry Wolfe to cross Big Raccoon Creek. The bridge, a single span Burr arch truss structure, was moved from Portland Mills to its present location in 1960-61 when the creek was damed to form a lake. At its new location across Little Raccoon Creek, the 130-foot long bridge, fell into decline. In 1990 the bridge was restored. The bridge, the oldest in Parke County , is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.