Patterson Park Pagoda, Baltimore MD
On Hampstead Hill, the ridge where the Pagoda now stands, Baltimoreans rallied on September 12, 1814 to protect the city from the threat of a British invasion. Urban myth suggests that from this vantage point the glow from the fire at the Capitol and the White House could be seen as the opposition marched through the nation’s capital. By water the British entered the Patapsco River and bombarded Fort McHenry. By land they amassed forces at North Point. As they marched on to Baltimore they were able to look up to Hampstead Hill and see Rodger’s Bastion - 100 cannons and 20,000 troops. The British returned to their ships and sailed away.