Once Cumberland’s premier shoe store, Peskins. Morton and Martha Peskin started the business in Cumberland in 1921. Mr Peskin’s son, Morton II took over the business in 1957. The business flourished through-out the next 40 years. Peskins had 38 employees serving customers on two floors with mens, ladies and children’s shoes, ladies ready-to-wear, bridal, and cosmetics. Even though there were over 20 stores in Cumberland selling shoes. Peskins had the reputation as the number one shoe store in the state of Maryland.
Today, the store, located in the Downtown Historic District, with its Streamlined geometric entrance, is empty and abandoned.