Federal Reserve Building - front with flag - 2012-09-13
Looking north at the front pediment, entablature, and attic of the Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building in Washington, D.C.
The building was designed in a stripped-down classical style by Paul Philippe Cret, a French-American architect and industrial designer who was chairman of the Department of Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt dedicated the building on October 20, 1937. The building was named in 1982 after Marriner Eccles, seventh Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve (under FDR).
Sculptor Sidney Waugh designed the eagle sculpture over the front doors. Greek-inflected Art Deco design is very similar to design work he did the same year for the Apex Building (which housed the Federal Trade Commission).