Cloud Gate, "The Bean", Millennium Park, The Loop, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
Cloud Gate, a public sculpture by Indian-born British artist Anish Kapoor, is the centerpiece of the AT&T Plaza in Millennium Park within the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois, United States.
The sculpture is nicknamed "The Bean" because of its bean-like shape. Made up of 168 stainless steel plates welded together, its highly polished exterior has no visible seams. The sculpture was finally completed on August 28, 2005, and officially unveiled on May 15, 2006. The cost for the piece was first estimated at $6 million; this had escalated to $11.5 million by the time the park opened in 2004, with the final figure standing at $23 million in 2006.
"What I wanted to do in Millennium Park is make something that would engage the Chicago skyline ... so that one will see the clouds kind of floating in, with those very tall buildings reflected in the work. And then, since it is in the form of a gate, the participant, the viewer, will be able to enter into this very deep chamber that does, in a way, the same thing to one's reflection as the exterior of the piece is doing to the reflection of the city around." — Anish Kapoor
Just saying a quick hello to the flickr world! :)
This photo is in 9 groups
- [CLOSED]My Gear and Me #5 - Gold Selection (P1A5 Only Invited) 64,363 items
- Royal Group - Have a Good Light ! 783,281 items
- !*Flickr Award Group*! (GIVE 5 AWARDS) 2,756,181 items
- [CLOSED]My Gear and Me #4 - Silver Selection (P1A5 Only Invited) 86,621 items
- [CLOSED]My Gear and Me #3 - Bronze Selection (P1A5 Only Invited 118,352 items
- [CLOSED]My Gear and Me #2 - Premium (P1A5 Only Invited Photos!) 176,017 items