Batty Moss Viaduct
Now known as the Ribblehead Viaduct, the viaduct was built between 1870 and 1874. It spans 440 yards, is 104 feet high and is made up of 24 arches.
About 2000 men (known as “Navvies”) built the structure and shanty towns sprang up on the moor to house them. Hundreds of navvies died from accidents, fights and smallpox and the railway company had to buy additional land to use as a cemetery.
The viaduct still carries trains on a regular basis. However there is now only a single track on the viaduct itself because of doubts about its structural capacity to carry two trains at the same time.
Texture is Haunted by Ghosts by SkeletalMess