Historic Tybee Island (GA) Light Station July 2011
The Tybee Island Light, also known simply as the Tybee Lighthouse, is located on Tybee Island (GA), east of Savannah at the mouth of the Savannah River. The Tybee Lighthouse is one of just a handful of 18th century lighthouses still existing in North America.
As pictured above, the latest incarnation of the Tybee Island lighthouse stands at 154 feet and in 1933 became an automated, electrically driven lighthouse.
Because modern marine navigation techniques outgrew the need for such a lighthouse, the Tybee Island lighthouse became obsolete. Just three weeks after it became electrically driven, it was donated to the Tybee Island Historical Society by the U.S. Government.
Today the Tybee Lighthouse is a tourist destination, having all of its support buildings on the 5-acre site historically preserved. The current black and white tower markings is a reversion to markings first used in 1916.
Tybee Island Light Station Details
Location Tybee Island (GA)
Year first constructed 1736
Year first lit 1736
Markings / pattern Black with white horizontal band
Height 154 feet
Original lens First order Fresnel lens
Characteristic Fixed white
Image by Ron Cogswell on July 18, 2012, using a Nikon D80 and minor Photoshop effects.