Titanic Memorial -- Southwest Waterfront Washington (DC) April 2012
The Titanic Memorial shown above is a granite statue in southwest Washington, D.C., which honors the men who gave their lives so that women and children might be saved during the RMS Titanic disaster in April 1912. The thirteen-foot-tall figure is of a partly clad male figure with arms outstretched. The statue was erected by the Women's Titanic Memorial Association.
The memorial is located on P Street SW next to the Washington Channel near Fort Lesley J. McNair. It was designed by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, and sculpted by John Horrigan from a single piece of red granite furnished from Westerly, RI, by the Henry C. Smalley Granite Co. It was unveiled In May 1931, by Helen Herron Taft, the widow of President Taft.
Originally located at the foot of New Hampshire Avenue, NW, in Rock Creek Park along the Potomac River in DC, the monument was removed in 1966 to accommodate construction of the Kennedy Center. The memorial was re-erected without ceremony in 1968 on the south Washington waterfront outside Fort McNair in Washington Channel Park at Fourth and P Streets, SW.
Image by Ron Cogswell April 7, 2012, using a Nikon D80 and minor Photoshop effects.