Welcome to Romney (WV) -- Establsihed on December 23, 1762
Romney is a city in, and the county seat of, Hampshire County (WV).
Its population was 1,940 at the 2000 census, while the area covered by the city's ZIP code had a population of 5,873.
It is a city with a very historic background dating back to the 18th century.
Originally settled in 1725 by hunters and traders, Romney was known as Pearsall's Flats and was the site of the French and Indian War stockade Fort Pearsall.
Romney holds the title of West Virginia's oldest town, chartered on December 23, 1762. (Shepherdstown (WV) disputes this claim.)
Named for the Cinque Ports town of Romney, Kent, England by Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron, the town still bears placenames and symbols from its colonial past such as its Marsham Street, named for Robert Marsham, 2nd Baron Romney.
During the American Civil War (1861-1865), Romney, part of Virginia until June 1863, traded hands between the Union and Confederate armies no fewer than 10 times, assuming the occupying force spent at least one night in the town. (Oral tradition and a state historical marker claim the town changed hands 56 times, second only to Winchester, VA.)
Romney is also home to the West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind and the nation's first, or one of the first, Confederate war memorials in the city's Indian Mound Cemetery.
Image by Ron Cogswell on November 13, 2011, using a Nikon D80 and minor Photoshop effects.