South View of the North Carolina State Capitol -- Raleigh (NC) March 2015
The North Carolina State Capitol, completed in 1840, is one of the finest and best-preserved examples of a major civic building in the Greek Revival style of architecture in the U.S.
The Capitol was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973, and is the former seat of the legislature of North Carolina.
Currently housing the offices of the Governor of North Carolina, the Capitol is located in Raleigh on Union Square at One East Edenton Street.
The cornerstone of the Greek Revival building was laid with Masonic honors by the Grand Master of the State (Simmons Jones Baker) on July 4, 1833. Construction was completed in 1840.
On the south front of the Capitol is a life-size bronze statue of George Washington stands inside a gated area between two cannons at Union Square.
Washington is in military dress and holds a civilian walking stick in his right hand as he looks to the south. He rests his left hand on his cloak, which is draped over a pillar of 13 rods.
The monument is flanked on both sides by cannon produced in France before the American Revolution.