Best suggested view: On Black
One can find many pigeons here and people from all religions come and feed them every morning. Early morning is the best time to visit this place : )
Few interesting facts i came across about this mosque:
1. Each of the two octagonal columns on either side are made out of a single piece of granite, which took five years to quarry.
2. The courtyard houses a large pond flanked by slab seats. Legend has it that a visitor who sits on one of these seats will definitely return to sit on them again.
3. It took about 8000 masons and 77 years to be complete the construction.
4. The mosque is believed to contain sacred relics, one of which is a hair of the Prophet Muhammad.
5. It is believed that Muhammed Quli commissioned bricks to be made from earth brought from the holy city of Mecca and inducted them into the construction of the central arch of the mosque, which explains the name of the mosque.
6. Mohammed Quli Qutub Shah(6th king of Hyderabad) himself laid the foundation stone of the mosque, when he failed to find one person who had never missed his prayers. The king seemed to be the only person who never missed on his prayers ever since he was 12 years of age.
7. for more info: read : )
>> Grandeur of character lies wholly in force of soul, that is, in the force of thought, moral principle, and love, and this may be found in the humblest condition of life.
- William Ellery Channing
>>Life has always taken place in a tumult without apparent cohesion, but it only finds its grandeur and its reality in ecstasy and in ecstatic love.
- George Bataille
>> Shot At: Mecca masjid, Hyderabad, AP, India.
Explore highest : 1 :) thanku guys
This photo is in 5 groups
- Favorites: 60 19,017 items
- Great Job 2,676 items
- Literary Reference in Pictures: post one, comment one (or two!) 31,595 items
- FELT LIFE 315,163 items
- Hyderabad Photography Club (HPC) 70,322 items